Strategies And Mechanism *
- Set and monitor Social Forestry targets at national and regional levels.
- Adopt a rights-based approach to Social Forestry policy formulation, planning and implementation.
- Provide secure tenure to indigenous and other local communities (especially customary forest users, rotational agriculturalists) and access to timber resources.
- Adopt and implement the Voluntary Guidelines on Forest Tenure Reform.
- Adopt or reform national laws and regulations to simplify process of SF registration and remove barriers to SF-based SMEs.
- Establish a regional platform and mechanism for forest-related conflict resolution.
- Establish an ASEAN Trust Fund for Social Forestry.
Social Forestry in Climate Change Adaptation and Biodiversity Conservation:
- Adopt a common methodology for climate change vulnerability assessment and make vulnerability assessments an integral part of social forestry-related national and regional plans.
Social Forestry and REDD+
- Establish mechanism and develop operational guidelines for implementing social and environmental safeguards for social forestry.
- Beyond food security, promote food sovereignty.
- Strengthen institutions for social forestry through support for national level multi-stakeholder mechanisms, effective linkages and decentralization of authority to local bodies.
Community Economy & Livelihood
- Establish a regional process to protect intellectual property rights (IPR) over local products and knowledge. (including copyright protocol, registries) consistent with UNDRIP and other international agreements.
- Include the Creative Industry (cultural products, arts) as a priority sector for ASEAN economic integration.
- Establish, develop guidelines and solicit AMS contributions for a Trust Fund for SF-based SMEs.
- Adopt Voluntary Guidelines on Private Sector engagement and human rights in line with UN Due Diligence guidelines and international agreements.
- Support marketing and consumer campaigns to promoting intra-ASEAN trade in creative/cultural economy products, while ensuring IPR and chain of custody traceability.
- Facilitate sharing of technical expertise through MoUs among centers of excellence in forest products development and research in ASEAN.
- Establish Value Chain support programs for SF-based SMEs.
- Provide incentives to SF-based SMEs and communities.
* Strategies and Mechanisms adopted by ASFN (Kota Kinabalu, May 2014) endorsed by the ASOF (Siem Reap, Cambodia, June 2014) for ASEAN Cooperation in Forestry